Major Project 1

Major Project 1

Siam Siew Yong 0358399
Bachelor of Design in Creative Media | Taylor’s Design School | Taylor’s University

Instruction

module information

proposal guidelines
 


Major project is the first stage of the Final Year Project, where students apply the knowledge and skills gained throughout their studies to a self-directed design project. Students are required to identify a design problem or opportunity, develop a comprehensive project proposal, and demonstrate effective design thinking, research, project management, and independent learning through regular consultation and studio practice.

As a Graphic Design student, I wanted my final project to be more than just a visual identity. From the beginning, I was interested in creating a brand that addresses a meaningful social issue, particularly mental health and the everyday challenges faced by Gen Z. I believe graphic design has the power to start conversations and build emotional connections through visual storytelling.

and this is the guideline of this project for the graphic design students

 
guidelines

Task 1: Proposal development

During the first few weeks, we were required to develop the concept for our major project. As I wanted to focus on a meaningful and relatable social issue, I decided to explore campaign ideas that address the everyday challenges faced by young people.

My initial idea was to create a campaign centred on the emotional experiences of young people. However, after conducting further research and receiving feedback from my lecturers, I decided to narrow my focus to deadline anxiety, as it is a common issue faced by students and aligns more closely with my project's objectives.

My initial project name: DDL PERSONAS
After discussing my concept with Ms Noranis, she advised me to consider a shorter and more relatable brand name that could create a stronger connection with the audience. She also encouraged me to further develop the brand strategy, ensuring that the brand had a clear identity, message, and value that people could easily remember.

So I started to work on my proposal for the project, and came out with a new name--DDL ZONE

For this project, I designed four characters to create a stronger connection with Gen Z audiences. Each character represents different deadline personalities, and I hope the project could help students recognize their own experiences and feel less alone when facing stress.

Here's my initial sketches of the characters
sketches of characters

And I also digitized the characters and logo in Adobe Illustrator
 
digitized characters


initial logo


After consulting with Ms Noranis and Prof Phil, I confirmed my final version of characters, logos and color palette.The color palette combines energetic and expressive tones with softer emotional elements. Bright colors like Neo Green, Traffic Cone Orange, and Gold represent the pressure and urgency of deadlines, while Internet Blue reflects the digital world. Pastel Lilac adds warmth and empathy, balanced by Goth Black to create a bold and modern identity.

final characters

final logo for task 1

color palette

And I documented all my proposal progress in a Canva slide
DDL ZONE by siam siewyong

Task 2: Design Proposition & Final Presentation

After the presentation, I continued developing my design proposition by refining the brand strategy and creating design mockups that will be further developed and applied in Major Project 2.

At first, I started to refine my logo first
I changed my logo from vertical layout to horizontal layout. Besides, I also replaced the original black-and-white logo with my brand color palette


final logo with guidelines

final logo

After that, I explored the development of the brand pattern and brand assets. 
The brand pattern was a new addition to my final presentation, as I wanted to expand the ddl zone identity beyond the logo and characters. This pattern system will be further developed and applied to packaging, print assets, merchandise, and spatial graphics in Major Project 2. 
I also created three brand assets — letterhead, business cards, and brand stickers

progress in Illustrator

pattern 1

pattern 2

pattern 3

pattern 4


After that, I worked on the merchandises

progress in illustrator

then I continued the digital mockups progress in Photoshop


progress in photoshop

After complete my merchandises mock-up, I also designed my applications of the campaign which includes the social media posts, character cards and animated poster.
I work on the animated poster first

progress in illustrator

After that, I imported the AI files into After Effects to develop an animated campaign poster. Using features such as loopOut, 3D layers, and motion blur, I added movement and depth to bring the visual to life.

progress in after effect

After completing the animation, I exported the MP4 file and created environmental mockups in Photoshop. By using the timeline feature, I was able to showcase how the animated poster would work in different environments, allowing me to evaluate the effectiveness and adaptability of the design in real-world applications.

the output of environmental graphics

For the social media posts, I created a feed strategy for my campaign

Awareness phase- 
Post 1: Reveal of Brand ddl zone
Post 2: Teaser of characters and campaign

post 1 & post 2

Interest phase-
Post 3: Core Identity Hook, introducing the central question "TURN ON SURVIVAL MODE: TODAY I AM ____?
Post 4: Reveal officially introducing Calm Sis, Panfrog, Plssy, and Angoose

post 3 & post 4

Understanding phase-
Post 5: Hero campaign post, showing all 4 characters coping at 11:59 PM
Post 6: interactive scenario quiz carousel, to let audience test what's their persona

post 5 & post 6

Action phase-
Post 7: Interactive goal commitment post, drop goal in comments  > Lock in & work > Return & reply "DONE " 
Post 8: Announcement of physical booth and the drop anxiety activity. Call to Action: Drop anxiety memo at the booth to claim a free Survival Pass Ticket Bookmark.

post 7 & post 8

Last post
The reveal of merchandise- the collectible lenticular RPG Game Character Cards

post 9

The instagram account link: https://www.instagram.com/ddl.zone/

After I finished the mockups and applications, I compiled them to a new presentation slide.
And follow the requirement set by Ms Noranis.

requirements of final presentation slide

Here's my final presentation slide
final presentation ddl zone by siam siewyong

And the final mockups pdf
final mockups pdf


Feedback



Reflection

Experiences:

Major Project 1 was a meaningful challenge where I explored how graphic design could address a real social issue. I wanted to create a brand that goes beyond aesthetics and connects with Gen Z’s experiences, especially the stress and anxiety caused by deadlines. To make the concept more engaging, I developed four characters — Calm Sis, Panfrog, Plssy, and Angoose — representing different deadline behaviours and emotional responses among students.

One of the highlights of this project was exploring motion design. I imported the Illustrator files into After Effects and used techniques such as loopOut, 3D layers, and motion blur to bring the campaign poster to life. I also created environmental mockups in Photoshop to visualize how the animated poster could work in different real-world settings.

Observations:

During the development process, I learned that a strong brand requires consistency across all visual elements. I refined the logo by improving the layout, typography, and colour application to better match the personality of DDL ZONE. I also standardized the character styles and incorporated brand elements into their designs to strengthen recognition.

Besides the main identity, I expanded the brand system by creating patterns and brand assets such as letterheads, business cards, and stickers. These elements helped demonstrate how DDL ZONE could be applied across different touchpoints, including future packaging, merchandise, and spatial graphics in Major Project 2.

Findings and Future Vision:

The biggest challenge of this project was balancing the fun and energetic personality of DDL ZONE with the sensitive topic of deadline anxiety. Through continuous feedback and refinement, I learned the importance of creating designs that are not only visually appealing but also emotionally meaningful.

Major Project 1 helped me establish the foundation of DDL ZONE’s concept, strategy, and visual identity. Moving into Major Project 2, I hope to further expand the brand through physical experiences such as booth design, merchandise, packaging, and interactive campaign elements.



Comments