Publishing Design Final Compilation and Reflection

Publishing Design Final Compilation and Reflection

Siam Siew Yong 0358399
Bachelor of Design in Creative Media | Taylor’s Design School | Taylor’s University


List of Contents



Instructions

Module information

Assignment Brief

Final Submission of Task 1 Exercises

Exercise 01: Text formatting

fig 1.1 formatting text (pdf)

Exercise 02: Mock-up Exercise

 
fig 1.2 size I choose, 16.3cm x 23cm (jpg)

 
fig 1.3 pages material I used (70 gsm)

 
fig 1.4 cover material I used (130 gsm)

 
fig 1.5 book open with staple binding (jpg)

 
fig 1.6 book open with staple binding (jpg)

Exercise 03: Signature Exercise

 
fig 1.7 signature exercise

 
fig 1.8 signature exercise

 
fig 1.9 stapler the paper

Exercise 04: Classical Grid System

 
fig 1.10 Van de graff physical exercise


fig 1.11 Van de graff digital exercise(jpg)

fig 1.12 exercise 4 with subtexts and pullquotes(pdf)

fig 1.13  exercise 4 with subtexts and pullquotes without guidelines(pdf)

fig 1.14 adding the headline with guideline(pdf)

fig 1.15 adding the headline without guideline(pdf)

fig 1.16 exercise 4 final (pdf)


Final Submission of Task 2 Content Generation

Visuals spread

 
fig 2.1 visual 1(jpeg) 

 
fig 2.2 visual 2(jpeg) 

 
fig 2.3 visual 3(jpeg) 

 
fig 2.4 visual 4(jpeg) 

 
fig 2.5 visual 5(jpeg) 

 
fig 2.6 visual 6(jpeg) 

 
fig 2.7 visual 7(jpeg) 

 
fig 2.8 visual 8(jpeg) 

 
fig 2.9 visual 9(jpeg) 

 
fig 2.10 visual 10(jpeg) 

 
fig 2.11 visual 11(jpeg) 

 
fig 2.12 visual 12(jpeg) 

 
fig 2.13 visual 13(jpeg) 

 
fig 2.14 visual 14(jpeg) 

 
fig 2.15 visual 15(jpeg) 

 
fig 2.16 visual 16(jpeg) 

fig 2.17 16 visuals (pdf) 

Thumbnails of all visuals

fig 2.18 thumbnails of task 2(pdf)


fig 2.19 thumbnails of task 2(jpeg)

fig 2.20 thumbnails of task 2(jpeg)


Final Submission of Task 3 Book and Video Publishing

Task 3A Book

Mock-up printout

fig 3.1 physical book cover (157gsm) 








fig 3.2 physical book content pages (128gsm) 
fig 3.3 thumbnails of physical book(jpg)
Final spreads



















 
fig 3.3 Final Book spreads (jpeg) 

fig 3.4 Final Book spreads (pdf)

Final thumbnails layout



 
fig 3.5 Final thumbnails layout (jpeg)  

fig 3.6 Final thumbnails layout (pdf) 

Final ebook

fig 3.7 Flip HTML book

Task 3B Video Publishing


Reflection for whole module

Experiences:

Throughout this module, I gained valuable experience in both print and digital publishing. In Task 1, I explored the history of publishing and learned how to construct layouts using the Van de Graaff system. Moving into Task 2, I faced challenges in developing a consistent visual direction, as I initially struggled between using photo collages and illustrations. After experimenting, I decided to create my own visual assets using simple shapes and lines in Adobe Illustrator, which helped establish a stronger identity for the publication.

In Task 3, I applied what I had learned by designing the final book and promotional video. While receiving approval for my layouts gave me confidence, I encountered real production challenges when a page sequencing error in the printed book required a full reprint. I also had to make technical adjustments such as enlarging the barcode and adding a white quiet zone. For the promotional video, I repurposed my book assets and animated them in After Effects. Although I faced issues with importing Illustrator files, I learned how proper file organization could help solve technical problems and improve workflow efficiency.

Observations:

Throughout the three tasks, I observed how different mediums influence both the design process and audience experience. In Task 1, I noticed that even small errors in folding and trimming could affect page alignment, highlighting the importance of precision in print production. I also found that well-structured layouts, supported by pull quotes and subheadings, made long content more engaging and easier to read.

In Task 2, I realized that maintaining a consistent visual system is more challenging than it appears. Small variations in style or composition could make visuals feel disconnected from the overall concept. By Task 3, I observed a clear difference between digital and physical experiences. While the digital version displayed colours more vividly, the printed book provided a richer experience through its weight, paper texture, and page-turning interaction. During video production, I also discovered that animation and sound effects played an important role in making the final outcome feel more immersive and professional.

Findings:

This module helped me understand that successful publishing requires more than attractive visuals. It involves careful planning, strong typography, consistent visual systems, and attention to technical details throughout the production process. I learned the importance of preparing both physical and digital publications, ensuring that layouts, visuals, and content work effectively across different formats.

I also discovered that a design's success depends on how well it is executed in the real world. Thorough file preparation, pagination checks, print specifications, and organized asset management are just as important as creativity. Most importantly, I learned that modern publishing extends beyond printed books. Digital publications and social media content play a significant role in reaching audiences today. By creating both a physical book and a promotional motion graphic with a QR code call-to-action, I realized that print, digital publishing, and video content should work together to create a more engaging and memorable experience for readers.



Comments