Packaging and Merchandising Design Task 1

Packaging and Merchandising Design Task 1

Siam Siew Yong 0358399
Bachelor of Design in Creative Media | Taylor’s Design School | Taylor’s University


Instruction



List of Content

  • Task 1
  • Feedback
  • Reflection

Task 1

In this task , we have to create a label design for Uncle Jeff.

Uncle Jeff Kombucha is a brand of sparkling, fermented tea (kombucha) founded by Jeff Lau during the pandemic. The brand focuses on creating delicious and affordable kombucha in Malaysia using 100% locally-sourced ingredients and pure fruits and spices with no artificial flavorings. 

The existing label, while unique, presents an opportunity for a professional and commercially appealing redesign to help the product better compete and communicate its artisanal, local, and premium qualities in the modern beverage market. 

Target Market 

● Primary Target Audience (Based on Brand Context): Health-conscious individuals and foodies in Malaysia who appreciate local, artisanal, high-quality, and unique food/drink products. They are likely interested in supporting local businesses. 

● Secondary Target: Consumers seeking healthier, low-sugar alternatives to sodas and other processed drinks

Label Design Requirements 

Based on the lecture, includes necessary information on the label.


Deliverables 

1. Design Rationale (Report): A 1–2 page document detailing: 

○ The chosen visual direction (e.g., Rustic Traditional, Modern Minimalist, Vibrant Malaysian Pop). 

○ Justification for the colors, typography, and imagery used to convey the local, artisanal identity. 

2. Visual Mock-up: A high-resolution digital image showing the new label wrapped realistically around the large brown bottle and physical mock-up. 

3. Label Die-Line/Flat File: A to-scale visual design of the label showing all text, graphics, and the exact cutting shape.

4. Upload your source file (Adobe Illustrator) into your Google Drive and provide the link in your E-portfolio. Make sure you set the link to public.



First, I started to search some references from Pinterest, Cosmos, Behance and Packagingoftheworld to create my moodboard and determine the visual direction for the project.

The flavor I choose is Salted Calamansi.

fig 1.1 flavour chosed

fig 1.2 moodboard

I prefer to choose vintage and nostalgia style which feels like a naturally brewed drink discovered from an old family recipe notebook. Instead of making the design look overly old-fashioned or outdated, I decided to modernize the visual style to better attract younger audiences. To achieve this, I will included minimalist botanical illustrations and cleaner layouts into the label design.

Besides, I also create another moldboard for visual direction like the color palette, typography and imagery.

fig 1.3 moodboard

I also sketched my ideas on paper and consulted with Mr Shamsul.

fig 1.4 sketches

In my final label design, I would like to include the flower of calamansi, to strongly reflect the natural and handcrafted identity of Uncle Jeff Kombucha.

After consulting with Mr. Shamsul, he mentioned that my idea was accepted. He also felt that the sketches had a strong old kopitiam-style feeling, and suggested that I continue exploring that visual direction further.

After consultation, I started to digitize it, and I also decided the label size for my task 1.
Large bottle: height 9.5cm × width 18.5cm
Small bottle: height 6cm x width 14.5 cm

First, I sketched the calamansi and flower.

fig 1.5 flower and calamansi digitized


After that, I typed a Chinese typeface for the flavour name and placed the calamansi illustration on the front panel to experiment with the layout.

fig 1.6 experiment the layout

The calamansi illustration alone felt visually empty and did not fully communicate the nostalgic atmosphere I wanted to achieve. To strengthen the vintage concept, I incorporated an old-style cupboard illustration into the design. This element helps evoke memories of traditional homes and family kitchens, reinforcing the idea of a naturally brewed drink inspired by an old family recipe notebook.

fig 1.7 illustrating the elements

I also added the floral elements and the wall pattern for the frame and background.

fig 1.8 wall pattern

I placed all the graphic elements into the front panel and started to do the typography.
I then arranged all the graphic elements on the front panel and began refining the typography. The English flavour name, “Salted Calamansi,” was set in the Historic typeface because its condensed sans-serif style provides strong readability while complementing the vintage aesthetic of the packaging.

To attract consumers and communicate the product’s key selling points, I incorporated supporting copy such as “Old Recipe,” “100% Natural,” and the headline “The Hometown Flavor” at the top of the label. These elements help reinforce the nostalgic concept while highlighting the product's natural and handcrafted qualities.

For the second panel, I included the brand story, product information, and key product messages to provide consumers with a better understanding of the brand and its brewing philosophy. The body text was set in the D-DIN typeface family, which offers excellent readability.

To further enhance the vintage and nostalgic atmosphere, I applied a subtle grain texture to the illustrations and graphic elements. This effect creates the appearance of aged printed materials and old recipe books.


fig 1.9 adjust the layout and adding grain texture

In the ingredients page, I continued using the d-din font for readable experience.
And to make sure my font is clear, I used the size 6pt for large bottle. And the size of 4.5 pt for small bottle.

fig 1.10 ingredients page

Here's my overall view of large bottle label design.

fig 1.11 overall presentation of large bottle

And for the small bottle version, I slightly adjust the size of font and the position of ingredient page and product information page. The body text font size was changed from 6pt to 4.5 pt.

fig 1.12 overall presentation
 of small bottle

After completing the label design, I began searching for suitable bottle mock-ups to showcase the final packaging design. I explored various mock-up resources from Magnific and Pixpine, focusing on both large and small bottle formats to determine which presentation would best represent the product.

Once I selected the most suitable mock-up materials, I imported them into Adobe Photoshop and started applying the label design to the bottle surfaces.

fig 1.13 mockup process in photoshop

fig 1.14 mockup process in photoshop

During the mock-up development process, I adjusted the label placement and carefully applied shadows, highlights, and lighting effects to create a more realistic appearance.


Final output

Design rationale

The chosen visual direction for Uncle Jeff Kombucha is a vintage-inspired design approach that combines nostalgic aesthetics with botanical and floral elements. The direction aims to reflect the brand’s handcrafted fermentation process, locally sourced ingredients, and warm artisanal identity while creating a more professional and commercially appealing appearance for the modern beverage market.
The overall visual style draws inspiration from vintage herbal remedy labels, old tea packaging, and traditional apothecary aesthetics. This nostalgic approach helps communicate authenticity and craftsmanship, making the product feel honest, homemade, and carefully brewed rather than mass-produced.

The design also incorporates floral and botanical illustrations to reinforce the natural ingredients used in the beverage. Elements such as flowers, herbs, tea leaves, and fruits help visually communicate freshness, wellness, and fermentation culture. These illustrations create a softer and more premium appearance while strengthening the connection to locally sourced Malaysian ingredients.

The color palette for the salted calamansi drink includes warm cream, olive green, citrus yellow, and rusty rose, to evoke a sense of heritage, refreshing natural flavor, and artisanal craftsmanship. Warm cream serves as a foundational backdrop that mimics aged paper textures, instantly grounding the packaging in a timeless, handcrafted aesthetic. To represent the flavor profile, a muted citrus yellow directly references the refreshing essence of calamansi without looking synthetic, while olive green introduces a botanical freshness that represents the fruit's skin and leaves. Balancing these colors is rusty rose, to create contrast while adding a touch of vintage nostalgia. The new redesign color palette positioning it as a premium, health-conscious, and deeply authentic alternative that feels calming, organic, and trustworthy.

The typography I used was Historic, Chinese font-ZCOOL QingKe HuangYou Regular, and D-DIN. These fonts combine a vintage serif typeface with a clean supporting sans serif font. These typography gives the brand a classic and nostalgic personality inspired by traditional tea houses and old botanical packaging. Especially the Chinese font, tt helps communicate heritage, craftsmanship, and authenticity, and it provide the most strong nostalgic feel because salted calamansi was famous in Guang Dong Chinese family.

The supporting sans serif typeface D-DIN improves readability for important label information such as ingredients and nutritional details. This balance between decorative and modern typography ensures the label feels both artisanal and commercially functional.

The imagery focuses on hand-drawn botanical illustrations inspired by vintage scientific drawings and herbal journals. Floral elements, tea leaves, fruits are used to visually represent the natural ingredients and fermentation process used in the salted calamansi. These illustrations help strengthen the artisanal identity of the brand while creating a visually rich and premium packaging experience.

I incorporated an illustration of an old-style cupboard to further reinforce the theme of nostalgia and home. The cupboard serves as a visual reminder of traditional family kitchens and the places where treasured recipes are often preserved and passed down through generations. This element supports the concept of a naturally brewed drink discovered from an old family recipe notebook, while adding warmth and storytelling to the overall design.

Final label Design flat image

fig 1.15 label design of big bottle

fig 1.16 label design of small bottle


Drive link for working file

Final visual mock-up

fig 1.17 large bottle mock-up


fig 1.18 small bottle mock-up



FEEDBACK

Week 6: The idea was accepted.The sketches had a strong old kopitiam-style feeling, and suggested that I can exploring that visual direction further.

Week 7:-



REFLECTION

This project helped me understand that packaging design is not only about making a product look attractive, but also about telling a brand’s story. Through research, sketching, and design development, I learned how to create a visual identity that reflects Uncle Jeff Kombucha’s artisanal and I also developed a nostalgic character for this redesign project.

One of the biggest challenges was balancing vintage nostalgia with a modern look. I wanted the label to feel like it came from an old family recipe notebook while still appealing to younger consumers. Through experimenting with illustrations, typography, colours, and layouts, I was able to achieve a design that feels both nostalgic and contemporary.

Overall, this project improved my skills in packaging design, typography, and visual storytelling. It also taught me the importance of research, feedback, and refinement throughout the design process.


Comments