Packaging and Merchandising Design Task 3
Siam Siew Yong 0358399
Bachelor of Design in Creative Media | Taylor’s Design School | Taylor’s University
Bachelor of Design in Creative Media | Taylor’s Design School | Taylor’s University
Instruction
List of Content
- Task 3
- Feedback
- Reflection
TASK 3
In this task, we will develop the brand and packaging identity we
established in Project 2 and bring it to life in the retail world. The goal
is to design a cohesive "merch drop" collection consisting of FIVE (5)
distinct items and pitch the concept to the class.
Requirements:
- One (1) POP (Point-of-Purchase) Display: A freestanding or countertop display designed to hold or showcase your product in a retail environment.
- Four (4) Merchandise Items: Original branded goods (e.g., apparel, tote bags, tumblers, limited edition collectibles, stationery) that specifically appeal to your target audience.
So in task 2, we chose Smile Surprise as our brand.
In first week, me and my group mate discussed the POP display and
merchandises
Me started to work on the POP display while my other group mates will worked
on the merchandises.
For task 2, Jing En also helped to print all the box and bottle label
designs, allowing us to produce the physical prototypes of the
packaging.
|
| fig 1.1 box side a |
|
| fig 1.2 box side b |
|
| fig 1.3 bottles side a |
|
| fig 1.4 bottles side b |
So this is our final presentation of the box and bottles.
|
|
|
When we worked on printing process, we also started to do the merchandise
design and promotional strategy.
We followed the outline recommended by Mr Shamsul, and I divided the task
for them
Outline
Phase 1: Research & Concepts
Analyze your Project 2 brand values and packaging aesthetics.
Develop 5 concepts that feel like a natural extension of the brand.
Goal: Ensure the items are things your target audience would actually
buy.
Phase 2: Design & Mock-ups
Design the graphics and structural elements for all 5 items.
Create high-quality digital mock-ups. These should be realistic renders
that look like professional product photography.
Ensure strict visual consistency (color palette, typography) with your
Project 2 packaging.
Phase 3: Strategy & Presentation
Promotional Strategy: Outline specific channels (Social Media,
Influencers, Events) and tactics you will use to launch the
merchandise.
The Pitch: Prepare a slide deck presentation to "sell" your ideas. You
will present your designs and strategy in Week 14*.
So I will doing the phase 3 because I did a lot of things in this
group assignment.
I assigned my team mate to complete other part of this presentation
slide.
Lana and Jing En completed the merchandises such as eye-patch, diffuser,
small pouch bag and toiletry bag. And their merchandises was approved by Mr
Shamsul.
|
|
|
fig 1.6 applications design |
And I also showed the POP product stand to Mr Shamsul, he asked me to do a planogram like real pop-up and product.
|
|
|
fig 1.7 process of POP in Photoshop |
I incorporated the pattern I developed in Project 2 into the packaging design to reinforce the brand identity and maintain visual consistency across different project deliverables.
So this is the final POP stand and the planogram.
|
| fig 1.7 POP product stand mockup |
|
|
|
After this, I created the presentation slides and shared them with my group
members. We then began compiling and organizing all the work we had completed
into the presentation. We also explained the meaning and rationale of all
merchandises and strategy we used.
Why POP product stand
The POP (Point-of-Purchase) Product Stand is designed to attract attention
and encourage purchase decisions at the point of sale. It effectively
showcases the gift box and miniature toiletry bottles in one display, making
the products easy to see and explore. The soft beige and pastel green color
palette, inspired by the freshness of spring and reinforced with Smile
Surprise’s signature motifs, creates a warm, cheerful, and inviting shopping
experience that reflects the brand identity.
Why diffuser
Bringing the calming scent of spring into stressful study spaces.
• Creates a relaxing study environment
Why soft cloth toiletries bag
A cozy, everyday pouch designed for personal care routines.
• Washable and reusable
Why eye-patch
Promoting rest and mental recovery during stress periods.
• Gentle weighted construction
• Relieves eye strain
• Encourages quality rest
Why micro pouch bag
Inspired by Gen Z's growing trend of pouch accessorising.
• Stores AirPods, keys, or mini toiletries
• Increases everyday brand visibility
I also started to work on the phase 3, so we decided to use social media
platform, event booth and train ad
fig 2.1 final presentation video
fig 2.2 final phase 2 pdf
fig 2.3 final phase 3 pdf
the work drive link here
FEEDBACK
Week 11:
Make the packaging design more simple, can test 1 layer cupboard to fold first
Week 12:
Redesign box mock-up approved.
Week 13:
Eye-patch, diffuser, small pouch bag and toiletry bag will be our main
merchandise. For the pop up display, he wants to see them in a planogram.
Showed and approved.
Week 14:
-
REFLECTION FOR OVERALL MODULE
Throughout this module, I learned that packaging design is more than creating an attractive visual. It is about understanding user experience, balancing aesthetics with functionality, and using design to communicate a brand’s story. The early lectures and structural exercises helped me realise the importance of considering both the visual and physical aspects of packaging. The Money Packet exercise especially showed me that a design may look successful digitally, but it still needs to be tested physically to ensure the structure works effectively.
For Task 1, I redesigned the label for Uncle Jeff Kombucha, focusing on the Salted Calamansi flavour. I explored a nostalgic direction inspired by Malaysian kopitiam culture and traditional homemade drinks. Through research, sketching, and feedback from Mr. Shamsul, I developed a visual identity using hand-drawn illustrations, traditional patterns, and a warm vintage colour palette. And I love the final presentation I made.
For Task 2, I became the group leader for *Smile Surprise*, where we developed a miniature toiletry gift set for Gen Z students. Inspired by the concept of “Spring”, we wanted to create an affordable and meaningful gift that represents care and emotional support. During the process, I learned how to manage teamwork and solve design challenges. After our initial box design was not approved, I redesigned the packaging by improving the structure, applying consistent visual elements, and ensuring it aligned with our 3R sustainability concept. I also refined the product labels based on feedback to improve consistency and readability.
In Task 3, we expanded Smile Surprise into a complete retail experience by developing merchandise, a POP display stand, and promotional strategies. I focused on the presentation deck and campaign planning while supporting the overall brand direction. Designing the POP stand allowed me to understand how packaging can create an interactive shopping journey, from attracting customers with the hero product display to allowing them to experience the products through testers and personalised gift options.
Overall, this module helped me understand that effective packaging is not only about visual appeal but also about problem-solving, storytelling, and creating meaningful experiences. From designing a single label to developing a complete brand experience, I improved my skills in packaging structure, branding, teamwork, and strategic thinking. This journey showed me how packaging can become a powerful connection between a brand and its audience.
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)




Comments
Post a Comment