Elements to form/design a book- Visual elements, textual elements and color
All publications consist of 3 major elements: Type, Color, Image
Textual Elements
Body text
Headings
Subheadings
Captions
Pull quotes
Visual Elements
Photographs
Illustrations
Graphic elements
Visual themes
Color Elements
Full color
Shades and tones (including black-and-white publications)
These elements are organized and controlled through:
Format (size, paper type, binding, etc.)
Grid System (layout structure)
Grid is the foundation of book design. Before designing, we should:
Decide the book format.
Create margins and grid structure.
Choose typefaces.
Begin arranging text, visuals, and color within the grid.
A grid helps to maintain consistency, create visual order, improve
readability and support attractive compositions.
A successful book always balancing the consistency and variation. For
example, using same typefaces, similar image style, consistent color palette
and fixed layout principles.
And for variation, u may using different page arrangements, different image
sizes and different text-image relationships. But must aware is too much
consistency = boring / too much variation = chaotic.
The goal is to create surprise while maintaining unity.
Mr Vinod also give some typography advices. For beginners, student can
start with one type family, and use different weights within the family to
maintain visual consistency. A strong type family often already includes
headings(bold/italic bold/condensed bold), subheadings (semibold/..) and
body text styles(regular..)
For book publication
Printed books are produced using folded sheets known as signatures,
which commonly consist of 16 pages.
Since pages are printed together on large sheets before being folded and
bound, page counts such as 16, 32, 48, or 64 pages are ideal.
When a book contains a page count that does not fit these standard
signatures, additional paper may be required, resulting in wasted
materials and increased printing costs.
Therefore, designers are encouraged to plan their content carefully and
keep the total page count within standard printing requirements whenever
possible.
Task 3
In this task, we have to complete two task, task 3a: book and task 3b: video
publishing. And this is the continuation of the task 1 and task 2
1st pg. till the 1st chapter and the subsequent evolutions in JPEG,
300PPI. This must be approved before continuing to design the other
chapters.
Final layouts (32 pgs. + 4 cover) in thumbnail JPEG and PDF, and in full
size PDF and selected spreads in JPEGs (jpeg=300ppi). Only after 1st pg
till the end of 1st chapter has been approved.
At first, I found some layout references through Behance and Pinterest to
get some inspiration.
fig 1.3 references
After I had my own inspiration, I tried first on using the Van de Graff
layout margin. (Task 1)
fig 1.4 introduction in van de graff layout
fig 1.5 introduction in van de graff layout
After tested, I decided to create another margins and columns layout.
To create a more unique layout for my book. I placed the text and visuals of
my introduction and chapter 1.
fig 1.6 my own margin layout
fig 1.7 process on doing chapter 1
fig 1.8 process on doing chapter 1
After showing to Mr Vinod of my 1st page to the end of 1st chapter, he
approved my layout and allowed me to continue the other chapters.
fig 1.9 process on doing other chapters
After completing all the chapters, I created thumbnails to ensure the
design remained consistent throughout. Once I showed the thumbnails to Mr.
Vinod, he gave me the approval to proceed with printing the book.
fig 1.10 thumbnail of all chapters without cover(jpg)
After completing all the chapters and getting approval from Mr. Vinod, I
printed out the pages and selected my preferred paper material. I also
continued on my cover design.
fig 1.11 process in Illustrator
Mr Vinod more prefer the second layout. After confirmed the front cover, I
continued my work on Indesign.
fig 1.12 back cover design
fig 1.13 process in indesign
After completing the cover design, I combined the cover and content files
into the final book file and ready to print the final version.
fig 1.14 process in indesign
I chose staple binding for my book, using 157gsm Artpaper for the cover and
128gsm paper for the inside pages.
Here's the physical mockup of book
I selected Arch Print to handle all the printing of the project because
their printers produce vibrant, high-quality colors that match my design
concept.
fig 1.15 physical book cover (157gsm)
I also took close-up photos of the inside pages to represent the texture of
the paper material.
At this process, I knew the difference between viewing the book on screen
and holding the printed version in hand. While the digital version presents
the colours clearly and brightly, the physical book creates a more engaging
experience through its weight, the texture of the paper, and the simple act
of turning each page.
fig 1.16 physical book content pages (128gsm)
fig 1.16 thumbnails of physical book (jpg)
Final Submission for Task 3A
Final spreads
fig 2.1 Final Book spreads (jpeg)
fig 2.2 Final Book spreads (pdf)
Final thumbnails layout
fig 2.3 Final thumbnails layout (jpeg)
fig 2.4 Final thumbnails layout (pdf)
Final ebook
fig 2.5 Flip HTML book
Task 3b: Video Publishing
Requirement:
In this final task, we need to adapt the content of our book (Task
3A) for the purpose of promotion using motion graphics. This
content will then be uploaded onto YouTube or Instagram to promote
our book.
The video can be between 10–15 seconds or more if necessary.
At first, I started to sketch out my storyboard in Procreate.
fig 3.1 storyboard sketches
After getting the feedback from Mr Vinod, I refined it and started to work
on Illustrator first.
I created the visuals for each animation pages, and it doesn't take much
of time because most of the main elements were already created in previous task.
fig 3.2 animation page process in illustrator
fig 3.3 animation page process in illustrator
After finishing the animation pages, I started to import all the animation
pages into After Effect.
To prevent After Effects from only recognizing the first storyboard
artboard, I went back into Illustrator and saved each artboard as a separate
file. This allowed all the files to import correctly into After Effects so I
could sequence the timeline and edit them more easily.
fig 3.4 storyboard folder
For the animation's background music, I chose 'Nop' by Chen Yue Long because
its vintage tone aligns perfectly with my childhood memory theme.
fig 3.5 bgm chosen
For each page transition, I used CC Page Turn effect to mimic a physical
turning page and create the feeling of reading a real story book.
fig 3.6 each transition using CC Page Turn
For the typography, I utilized the Range Selector's Offset, Ramp Up advanced
properties, and Opacity controls, combined with Transform Opacity, to
achieve a smooth text animation.
fig 3.7 text animation
I also applied the Motion Sketch tool to the illustrations, giving the
spaceship a natural, organic movement that makes it look like it is
truly flying.
fig 3.8 applied motion sketch
Besides, to create a continuous sparkling effect, I animated the
scale of the stars and used a loopOut() expression to keep them
twinkling throughout the scene.
fig 3.9 sparkling effect
At the end of the video, I included my book cover, then a QR
code and the call-to-action 'Scan For More Details' to allow viewers
to explore the book further.
fig 3.10 wrap up the video
Video completed! But not the final version, because there's not any
SFX for my animation. I continued my work on Premier Pro for the audio
dubbing, to elevate the narrative of my promotional video.
fig 3.11 imported the audio of SFX
I added several key sound effects in Premiere Pro—including page
slides, block placement clicks, objects landing, switches opening, and
flying sounds—to polish the audio experience.
Specific Feedback: Approved with the chapter 1 layout, can proceed to
thumbnails and print it out in A3 size.
Week 8:
Specific feedback: Approved Chapter 1 and Chapter 2, can continue to
complete other chapters
Week 9:
-
Week 10:
Although the book layout was fully approved, an error in the page sequence
was discovered in the printed version, requiring a reprint
Week 11:
Specific feedback: Approved with the book, but need a minor changes for
the visual in chapter 3. Book cover approved.
General feedback: the barcode need more bigger and the white quiet zone
(margin) surrounding the barcode is necessary to ensure proper barcode
recognition and functionality.
Week 12:
Absent
Reflection
Experiences:
Task 3 gave me the opportunity to transform my digital design into both a
physical book and a promotional video. For the book, I created a custom
layout system to suit the content and received approval from Mr. Vinod on
the initial chapters. During printing, I encountered a page sequencing error
that required a reprint, which taught me the importance of checking files
carefully before production. I also adjusted the barcode size and added a
white quiet zone to improve its functionality.
For the video, I used storyboards created in Procreate and reused assets
from the book. The process was enjoyable, although I faced challenges when
importing files into After Effects. After experimenting with different
methods, I found that saving each artboard separately helped solve the
issue.
Observations:
I observed a clear difference between viewing the book digitally and
experiencing it in print. While the digital version displayed colours more
brightly, the physical book offered a more engaging experience through its
paper texture, weight, and page-turning interaction.
For the video, I noticed that small details such as transitions, motion
effects, and sound design greatly improved the overall quality. The
animation felt much more immersive after adding sound effects and background
music.
Findings:
I realized the importance of creating video content to support a
publication. As social media plays a major role in how audiences discover
and engage with content today, promotional videos can help attract
attention, communicate key messages quickly, and encourage more people to
explore the publication.
Overall, this task helped me understand how print, digital publishing, and
social media content work together to create a stronger and more effective
audience experience.
Comments
Post a Comment